Eastern Counties League, Premier Division.
Stanway Rovers 1 v Brightlinsea Regent 2
Admission : £6
Tea : 80p
Attendance : 118
Weather : Fine rain
Game number : 36 New Ground Number :30
The modern club was established on 10 July 1956, although records suggest that another club had been playing in the early 1900s. The new club was initially based at the King George V playing fields in Lexden, more commonly known as Clairmont Road.
The club joined Division Two of the Colchester and East Essex League, and by 1960 had reached the Premier Division. In 1961 the club moved to Stanway Secondary School.
In 1973–74 the club won the Premier Division, and the following year, reached the final of the Essex Junior Cup, where they lost 1–0 to Takeley. In 1975 the club joined Division One of the Essex & Suffolk Border League, and in 1978 were placed in the new Division Two. The 1978–79 season saw the club finish third and win promotion to Division One.
In 1979 the club agreed a 99-year lease with the local council for a 4.6-acre (19,000 m2) plot of land. On 18 November 1982 the new clubhouse was opened, and named "Hawthorns".
In 1990 and 1991 the club reached the final of the Essex Intermediate Cup, but lost both matches 3–1. In 1991–92 they finished second in the Premier Division of the Essex & Suffolk Border League, and were promoted to Division One of the Eastern Counties League. In 2005–06 the club finished top of the division, and were promoted to the Premier Division. The club won the League Cup in 2008–09 and again in 2011–12.
Always good to spot a bit of urban decay when you walk into a new ground, very re assuring.
Here's Dave English and the Brightlingsea Ultras - Dave is set to feature in future episodes of the blog. He could become a bigger star than our own home grown movie star - The Butler.
Local Chavs arrive.