Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Hillingdon Borough FC

Tuesday 20th August 2013 kick off 19:45

Spartans South Midlands Premier League

Hillingdon Borough 0 v Hertford Town 4
The Middlesex Stadium
Breakspear Road
Ruislip Middlesex


Attendance : 34
Weather : Fine
Customer Service : Cannot complain
Game No: 20
Admission : £6
Tea : £1

Hillingdon's History

The first club was originally founded as Yiewsley F.C. in 1872, and played on a small area of open ground in Falling Lane, Yiewsley. The club made its debut in the FA Cup in the 1939–40 season, losing to Maidenhead United in the extra preliminary qualification round. In 1951 they were one of the 14 clubs who founded the Delphian League. Two seasons later at the end of the 1953–54 campaign they moved to the Corinthian League, which they topped in their third season, 1956–57. In 1958 a decision was made to turn semi-professional, and the club joined the South-East zone of the Southern LeagueTheir most noteworthy achievement until that point was holding Third Division Gillingham to a 2–2 draw on their home ground in the first round proper of the 1956–57 FA Cup.
The club renamed itself as Hillingdon Borough in 1964 in line with the local government reorganisation in London that saw the formation of the London Borough of Hillingdon. The change of name saw their fortunes change, as in their second season they were promoted to the Premier Division of the Southern League after finishing runners up. Their most successful period followed over the next five years. In 1968–69 they finished runners-up to Cambridge United, who were duly elected to the Football League. The following season, they reached the third round proper of the FA Cup beating Wimbledon and Luton Town before losing to Sutton United 4–1 in a replay. In the 1970–71 season, they reached the FA Trophy final at Wembley losing 3–2 to Telford United, after leading 2–0 at the interval.
The club failed to build on the success of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Declining crowds and poor financial management eventually saw the club merge with Burnham F.C. to form Burnham & Hillingdon, after they lost their ground and were about to fold. This club ran for two more seasons before changing their name back to Burnham, and continue to play in the Southern league till this day.

Modern club

The name Hillingdon Borough was resurrected in 1990 when Bromley Park Rangers from the Chiltonian League took over the ground of Ruislip, with the help of four former directors from the old club, and changed their name. Ther newly named club then joined the Premier Division of the Spartan League for the start of the 1990–91 campaign. The club would then go on to finish Runners-up twice before the league merged with the South Midlands League to form the Spartan South Midlands Football League. The club was placed in the Premier South Division, where they currently remain. In 2006, Hillingdon Borough reached the FA Vase final at St. Andrews, Birmingham, after an 11 game qualification route starting in the competition as early as the 2nd qualifying round. In the final of the FA Vase the club lost 3–1 to Cheshire club Nantwich Town.


Hillingdon's giant Mole hills.

1 comment:

  1. Would anyone have any details at all related to the jazz band ART WOOD COMBO who made a lot of appearances here in late 1950's. Thanks Tony. Woodstock, Ontario, CANADA antfreer@yahoo.ca